Are you thinking about brewing some beer at home? This is a popular thing to do. In the United States, there are about 1.2 million homebrewers. They make about two million barrels of home brewed beer every year. There are things you can do to make the best quality brew at home. From getting the right beer brewing pump to making sire everything is sterile, you can make delicious beer at home.
- Go for a bigger kettle than you think you need. Many people start out with a starter beer brewing kit. One thing these do not include is the pot or kettle you will need to brew your beer. It is easy to think you can get away with a small one but it will end up saving you time and money if you get a bigger pot than you think you will need. This will keep your concoction from boiling over and making a huge mess of your kitchen.
- Get the right beer pump. One way you will want to transfer your liquid from one container to another is with a beer brewing pump and good beer pump accessories. There are a lot of ways this will be useful in the beer brewing process Many home brewers look for magnetic drive pumps because they use the force of gravity to do the work of transferring the liquid from one container to another. This reduces the stress and strain on the beer brewing pump’s motor. These come in a number of sizes so you should be able to get one that is just right pump system for your set up.
- Go for a wort chiller. The last thing you need is for your beer to become contaminated. One of the best ways to prevent this is to invest in a wort chiller. The faster you can get that wort chilled, the lower your chances for getting contaminated wort. It normally takes about 20 minutes to cool five gallons of wort when you have a chiller. It can take between 40 and 60 minutes using other methods.
- Get oxygen into the wort with an aeration stone. The chilled wort will not have very much oxygen in it. To get your yeast working on the fermentation process going, you need to get oxygen into the wort. Some people add tap water but that will change the taste of your beer. A better option is to use an aeration stone. When you are buying your supplies, talk to the staff about what size will work best with your set up.
- Make your own starter. The quality of your yeast is a big part of making good quality homebrew. It should take you no more than 20 minutes to make your own yeast starter and you will see a big difference in the end product. When your yeast is happy and healthy, the fermentation process gets a kick start and the chances of contamination are reduced. This is because happy and healthy yeast start to convert the sugar to alcohol quicker.
- Be careful with the sanitizing process. This cannot be stressed enough. All of your equipment, from the beer brewing pumps to the kettle and the bottles you will put your final product in, needs to be carefully sanitized. You will have a much better home brew experience when you make sure you are very careful with this. Make sure you clean everything.
- Do your bottling on top of your dishwasher’s door. This part of the process will take you longer than you think it will. That is ok and you should not rush it. If you try to rush it, you will end up with your home brew on every surface in your kitchen. Open the dishwasher and place your bottles there. Put the bucket with the brew on top of the counter that is above this. When you spill, and spills will happen, it goes into the dishwasher will capture the spilled beer and you will have less of a mess to clean when you are done.
Making beer at home can be a very fun and rewarding experience. These tips will help you create a great and tasty beer.