American offices are dirty places. It has been estimated that the typical keyboard, computer mouse and office chair is home to more than 21,000 germs per square inch. At least ten million bacteria call typical office desks home. Experts say that there are up t0 25,000 germs per square inch on an office telephone. The simple act of disinfecting desks can cut absenteeism due to sick leave by 30%. Given all of that information, it is clear that hiring the right commercial cleaning service company is important for how well a business does.
- Talk to other people who manage or own businesses. If you know people who run or own businesses, you probably know people who have hired a commercial cleaning company to handle their office cleaning. One of the best ways to find decent goods or services is to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust. When you talk to your contacts, do not just ask if they liked the commercial cleaning service company but what they like about working with the cleaning service and if they have any recommendations for having a better experience.
- Decide what you need. Not every company needs the same level of services. It is important to have an idea of what you need before you start talking to different commercial cleaning services companies. You may want one through cleaning that includes everything from window cleaning to a full carpet cleaning service followed by less time intensive cleaning services a few times a week. A lot of this depends on the kind of business you operate and how many people are in and out on a regular basis. You can also ask the commercial cleaning services company what they would recommend.
- Go with a company that takes the time to come to you. Every office is different and has needs that are specific to the business in question. The commercial cleaning services companies should be willing to pat you a visit and then tell you what kinds of services they would recommend for your company. If the company is not willing to send someone to your business to look at your space, you should keep looking. There are a lot of commercial cleaning services out there so you do not have to settle for one that is not really interested in doing a good job for you.
- Ask a lot of questions about the people who work for the company. You want to go with a company that has happy workers. Ask the commercial cleaning services companies how they hire their workers, what their turnover rates are and what kinds of training and background checks they do on their workers. For the most part, cleaning companies do their work in offices when the office is closed and no one is around. You need to be able to trust that these workers are not going to take anything. You also want workers who are treated well because they will do a better job cleaning your space.
- Ask for references. Reputable commercial cleaning services are not going to have a problem giving you a list of current or former clients that you can talk to about the services that they provide. Again, ask specific questions about what it is like to use the commercial cleaning service company that you are thinking about hiring. This can give you an idea about how reliable the company is.
- Read over your contract very carefully. Look to see if there is a trial period so you can see if you like the services the cleaning company provides. You should also make sure you are clear on any extra fees that may be charged. If you need extra service during a certain time of the year. For example, if you manage an accounting firm, you may have a lot more foot traffic during tax season and need to have your space cleaned more often than other times of the year. Make sure you go over these special needs with the cleaning company before you hire them.
Having a clean business helps your bottom line in a number of ways. You project a better image to customers and clients.