One of the main problems that commercial fire protection services often deal with is preventing electrical fires. This type of fire is far more common than you might think, mainly because there are so many different electrical malfunctions that can lead to fires. Here are just a few of the ones fire protection contractors have found to be the most common.
Old Wiring. – Electric wiring doesn’t last for over. In fact, most systems are designed to only last for between 30 and 40 years. Yet, millions of homes across the country are older than 50-years-old. The older the wiring, the more out of code, and unsafe it is. This is particularly true if a home has aluminum wiring, which is far more hazardous than copper wiring, which can actually accommodate the power demands of modern appliances.
Appliances. – Wear and tear on appliances can create safety issues. Old and broken plugs and cords cause electrical fires all the time. Anything that’s been frayed, tattered, and worn out should immediately be replaced with new wiring. Cords that have been beaten up can quickly overheat, or cause sparks, which obviously will lead to a fire. Luckily, there are replacement chords that can be bought for most appliances.
Overburdened Electrical Sockets. – Electrical sockets can’t and should not be overburdened, as this is one of the most common ways electrical fires start. This happens when there are too many plugs plugged into the same outlet, extension cord, or power strip. If you need additional outlets, the U.S. Fire Administration recommend buying power strips that have internal overload protection. These devices shut a strip down if it ever becomes overloaded.
Electrical fires are a huge problem. Thankfully, they can be easily avoided. You just have to be careful with your wiring, your appliances, and your electrical sockets. If you have any questions about how to reduce your risk of setting electrical fires, feel free to share in the comments. More info like this.